+ Reply to Thread

Thread: [Proposal] Shaking up the event rewards

[Proposal] Shaking up the event rewards

This is an extension of what StuzChan wrote in the announcement thread about weekly events running an entire week.

http://forums.deviliangame.com/showt...ll=1#post78429

While the community awaits an update as to what Bluehole intends to do with this game, that doesn't mean that Trion cannot spice things up for these event rewards in the interim (since it is something that they do have control over in terms of what can be offered).

The current flower fall event without the previous 2-hour period constraint (plus running an entire week) is really nice because of the flexibility (I used to always miss those time slots).

Likewise, shaking up the rewards is something that could at least keep the small remaining community continually engaged for the time being. So I would take Stuz' suggestions to heart when it comes to the variety angle and the kinds of rewards that are relevant to the current community that continues to login and play (or at least the ones that haven't been bitten by the Windows 10 issue affecting the ability to run the game) where progression can be made on characters.

G6 and G7 gems will picque interest for sure. Kavelís and Devilian enchanting stones are offered in the rotation with certain weekly events and the occasional login ones. The occasional enigma box jackpots are also nice and the last login reward event with enigma keys was a nice gesture (so don't touch those).

Another reward type I would throw into the mix are soul token ones. This is in lieu of the rewards from various daily quests that have been out of whack since the Forbidden Sanctuary update where Bluehole Ginno neglected to add in the daily quests + associated rewards for Dimensional Fortress Normal and Forbidden Sanctuary (the same goes for the Fallen Castle update where there arenít the daily quests/associated rewards for Fallen Castle Hell and Dimensional Fortress Heroic).

Consider doing something similar to what you folks did when the Fallen Castle update went live where a really nice package was offered which included 200 Morbid Souls. http://forums.deviliangame.com/showt...orm-the-Castle!

An occasional login bonus that periodically awards these level 58+ tokens (Morbid, Capricious, Hellspawn, and maybe on very rare occasions, Chimera) would be welcome by current players behind the gearing curve or be of interest to those of us who have a bunch of alts.

I guess take a look at what you folks sometimes do in ArcheAge where catchup provisions are provided (a good example from the recent past was players being able to get a complete Celestial Soulforged gear set). http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/...-gear-is-back/

Quote Originally Posted by Murasama View Post
    This is an extension of what StuzChan wrote in the announcement thread about weekly events running an entire week.

http://forums.deviliangame.com/showt...ll=1#post78429

While the community awaits an update as to what Bluehole intends to do with this game, that doesn't mean that Trion cannot spice things up for these event rewards in the interim (since it is something that they do have control over in terms of what can be offered).

The current flower fall event without the previous 2-hour period constraint (plus running an entire week) is really nice because of the flexibility (I used to always miss those time slots).

Likewise, shaking up the rewards is something that could at least keep the small remaining community continually engaged for the time being. So I would take Stuz' suggestions to heart when it comes to the variety angle and the kinds of rewards that are relevant to the current community that continues to login and play (or at least the ones that haven't been bitten by the Windows 10 issue affecting the ability to run the game) where progression can be made on characters.

G6 and G7 gems will picque interest for sure. Kavelís and Devilian enchanting stones are offered in the rotation with certain weekly events and the occasional login ones. The occasional enigma box jackpots are also nice and the last login reward event with enigma keys was a nice gesture (so don't touch those).

Another reward type I would throw into the mix are soul token ones. This is in lieu of the rewards from various daily quests that have been out of whack since the Forbidden Sanctuary update where Bluehole Ginno neglected to add in the daily quests + associated rewards for Dimensional Fortress Normal and Forbidden Sanctuary (the same goes for the Fallen Castle update where there arenít the daily quests/associated rewards for Fallen Castle Hell and Dimensional Fortress Heroic).

Consider doing something similar to what you folks did when the Fallen Castle update went live where a really nice package was offered which included 200 Morbid Souls. http://forums.deviliangame.com/showt...orm-the-Castle!

An occasional login bonus that periodically awards these level 58+ tokens (Morbid, Capricious, Hellspawn, and maybe on very rare occasions, Chimera) would be welcome by current players behind the gearing curve or be of interest to those of us who have a bunch of alts.

I guess take a look at what you folks sometimes do in ArcheAge where catchup provisions are provided (a good example from the recent past was players being able to get a complete Celestial Soulforged gear set). http://www.trionworlds.com/archeage/...-gear-is-back/
    Do you actually think by this time, that there is even a possible future left for Devilian? Just like Marvel Heroes, its just a matter of time till this game is red lighted.
    Sad, because, like we have discussed, this game could of had one heck of a good future, had the developers just "cared" about this game. But its the Korean dev studio mindset. I suggest never investing in a single Bluehole game as its just a matter of time that any product that comes from them (including the upcoming AIR) , is just a doomed product.
    Bluehole is known for building a game, in an engine thats outdated (AIR is built on UE3 and mind you UE4 is what they SHOULD be using), anyways, and once its released, they make their surge of income at the start, do very minimal updating, then move on to yet another project and let the prior collapse under its own weight too.

Bluehole games are NEVER optimized, this game is still plagued by optimization and stability issues, PUBG is plagued by the same, TERA the same, and AIR (from watching videos on youtube) is also plagued by it.

They keep using the same UE SDK and from the looks its a unstable bug ridden build of it too. And just push out utter CRAP. UE3 is OLD OLD OLD. If you play with UE4 its amazing, optimized, a really nice netcode library etc.

And no offense, but TRION knows this game will be red lighted, but why not try to pinch any last remaining dollars outta it? I mean, I am sure their still at a loss with this game as the publisher, but as a consumer why in the world would anyone with common sense dump anything into it anymore?
    There is no "road map", no updates for months, no actual "NEW" content, and we all know the developer studio has scrapped anything and everything Devilian.

Lets put this into perspective, the "patron buffs" are still passing out currency for a raid tier thats what, 18 months old?

Quote Originally Posted by UnmarkedFaith View Post
    Do you actually think by this time, that there is even a possible future left for Devilian? Just like Marvel Heroes, its just a matter of time till this game is red lighted.
    Sad, because, like we have discussed, this game could of had one heck of a good future, had the developers just "cared" about this game. But its the Korean dev studio mindset. I suggest never investing in a single Bluehole game as its just a matter of time that any product that comes from them (including the upcoming AIR) , is just a doomed product.
    Bluehole is known for building a game, in an engine thats outdated (AIR is built on UE3 and mind you UE4 is what they SHOULD be using), anyways, and once its released, they make their surge of income at the start, do very minimal updating, then move on to yet another project and let the prior collapse under its own weight too.

Bluehole games are NEVER optimized, this game is still plagued by optimization and stability issues, PUBG is plagued by the same, TERA the same, and AIR (from watching videos on youtube) is also plagued by it.

They keep using the same UE SDK and from the looks its a unstable bug ridden build of it too. And just push out utter CRAP. UE3 is OLD OLD OLD. If you play with UE4 its amazing, optimized, a really nice netcode library etc.

And no offense, but TRION knows this game will be red lighted, but why not try to pinch any last remaining dollars outta it? I mean, I am sure their still at a loss with this game as the publisher, but as a consumer why in the world would anyone with common sense dump anything into it anymore?
    There is no "road map", no updates for months, no actual "NEW" content, and we all know the developer studio has scrapped anything and everything Devilian.

Lets put this into perspective, the "patron buffs" are still passing out currency for a raid tier thats what, 18 months old?
    No offense taken. As I've noted before, I knew the realistic chances of this game already from back before what I wrote in this thread. However, while the server is on and players can login, it's the old adage of giving it "the good old college try". Do I realistically believe it will change anything? No. But I believe it is better than just spewing out negativity.

There's a reason Bluehole hasn't just upped and terminated their end of the publishing rights. Bluehole still has a legally binding obligation to address critical issues like the Windows 10 one though given that Trion has brought it to their attention. Renaming Bluehole Ginno to PUBG Corp does not absolve them of the terms written in these publishing contracts.

Trion could've just said ok, whatever (and not bring it up to Bluehole), and mutually come to an agreement on a sunset date. Realistically, I can't see them having made much revenue in recent months from Patron, credits, or DEX sales. They don't get a 100% cut either since its usually a revenue sharing agreement. Thus there would be even more incentive to just end things when there isn't much of a business relationship left where the parties need to be in this active discussion to get that issue fixed.

If I were in Trion's shoes, I wouldn't let a developer get away with it (especially one that is now banking on their new sugar daddy). Remember that I wrote that TERA had not seen actual new content since at least 2014? Well just two weeks ago, the TERA dev team held their 2017 winter update and they revealed a timeline of updated content that will roll out from December 2017 through 2018 including new story lines and zones. As soon as they announced that, the test server went live the next evening just to prove this wasn't vapor that would take awhile to roll out.

I'm waiting to see what kind of optimization results on PS4 and Xbox One since the rumor is that they went with UE4 (or possibly a later iteration of UE3 aka UE3.5). Technical test surveys went out so there are going to be more details once that is underway. Since TERA is what I'm currently playing the most, anything Bluehole is pretty much stuff that I tend to look further into.

Bluehole's CEO even talked frankly about not expecting PUBG to have this much success in the west and is now talking up changing things up in what is a stale MMORPG market (because they are going to use PUBG as an avenue to shovel out stuff like A:IR and hopefully make bank on that to push the next thing they can think of). And it also looks like they are going to try to bankroll part of TERA since it had been their sole bread and butter until PUBG.

What I mean is that TERA's profits from before could have bankrolled a constant stream of new content but Bluehole got into this whole thing of trying to acquire companies and hoped the games they were working on would strike gold. Not one of the acquired studios panned out. They were hinging a lot on Devilian because of Diablo 3 but what they didn't realize is that the marketplace for MMO's with ARPG style isometric camera/combat was a niche. The west makes it look like something like Lost Ark is in huge demand but that is a small western niche. Even in South Korea, only the niche were enthused by the CBT's. Outside of that, reaction was tepid.

That's why NCsoft revamped Lineage Eternal since the original trailer shown was meant to feed off of Diablo 3 (like Devilian). When Devilian didn't hit gold in Korea, the back off began. That's why NCsoft did these redesigns where the 2014 trailer differed from the original. And then the 2016 CBT was completely different and was so far off the mark that everyone was canned leading to Project TL (which ironically, will end up coming full circle to be more like the original Lineage Eternal design).

The shoveling of stuff out isn't specific to Bluehole either. This has always been a motive of the Korean game studios. These MMO's were designed for Korea's net cafes and nothing more. That is where the venture capital money went until the mobile gravy train took off. The VC's followed the money. Longevity was not a design goal. Decent netcode was never a high priority due to South Korea's major city network infrastructure (high bandwidth, low latency). Proper server side validation was never a high priority because the target market was gamers in net cafe (plus South Korea requires resident registration number aka SSID to create accounts). Event timings were never an issue since narrow timezone. The original design objectives never meshed well with monetizing them in the west. Publishing in the west was just another revenue source (milk, rinse, and repeat). That's where the disconnect lies.

I mean look at the way Webzen has been handling MU Legend. Amateur beyond belief. The publishing subsidiary in Dublin are in over their heads pushing the fact these are open beta teething issues (convenient excuse) when all of the issues (exploits) they are having were known and are still unchanged in the Korean version. They mention a lot of content to come yet the Korean server has like the spellbinder/emphasizer plus 2 more Epic dungeons over the current global "open beta". Korea finally merged 4 ghost town servers into one the other day and they are only 9 months ahead of the global version. Where have I heard that same song and dance before?

The one thing they have in their favor is its their main franchise and its in service. I don't expect it to fair any better though because the of the dichotomy that exists with the development team (and I will feel no different with NCsoft and Project TL or Smilegate and Tripod Studio with Lost Ark should that ever be published in the west). I'll just play a Korean designed MMO for its aesthetics and combat BUT know not to expect much else. And I'll occasionally provide an opinion knowing very well that it will most likely end up being shoveled off into a virtual bit bucket.

In this case, I just thought I would try to give input about shaking up the event rewards since while the player population is down, there are still folks who login and play. All Trion can do is give a "virtual no".

Following would be nice:
    1) Candies etc dropping events leading to a mount like the past will be nice.
    2) Events leading to lotus or G7 or kavels drops or all 3 will be nice.

Have you open your eyes to the recent day to day life in devilian. Let me run you through.
    1) 3v3 rare. Yeah I know graveyard and newbiews not willing to go in to just die unless they are with 1 tat can clean house.
    2) 20 v 20. Not even popping. Don't even hoped that it will ever pop. Cos it wun.
    3) Lotus dropped all week. Its like rain in a desert over months of drought. You choke from farming lotus. Literally. But its good choke. It shows tat I'm still playing. a.k.a alive.
    4) Good players comes to do NDF or HDF or abbysal and bye. Weak players jus hang around like spirits.
    5) Newbies are complaining about nothing in the market. Well of cos, graveyard. Reality check. Maybe the occasional grumble about no power players to carry them.

Man I sound like a reporter.

Why am I posting this? Oh ya I support Murasama. Give u a like and a big hug

Thanks for the support and addition to the list as well as noting the graveyard state of the game my fellow OL guildie (the five point reporter list gave me a chuckle)

I noticed the EU folks mentioning Din Othar (Devilian's former exec producer) showing up there and opening up rifts in Asperon (sort of like what happened during their open beta finale two years ago; Stuz posted one of my old clips of that in Discord). Even impromptu events like that would be fun and is something I advocated before in terms of mixing it up (make use of whatever GM tools they do have).

They could even lower the number to get the queue to pop for 20v20 (it's been done in the past on PTS).

Since we're likely not going to see the Xmas themed Asperon this year, they should just turn it into a hellish mix of rifts.

+ Reply to Thread